Copyright Registering Your Work

Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Answer User Questions and other Copywriting topics.

How would I go about copyrighting a song?

Copyright Registering Your Work

To copyright *register* your work with the Library of Congress, you will need to fill out a registration form and pay a fee. At the moment (mid 2006) the copyright fee is $30.

You can also get copyright registration for a collection of works for the same fee. For a song, you will be copyrighting as "words and music."

The Library of Congress website has a very good FAQ on this from their copyright office. It is found at and the registration form can be downloaded.



Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.


URL: (optional)


Not finding the advice and tips you need on this Copywriting Tip Site? Request a Tip Now!

Guru Spotlight
Jeffery Loquist